Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Sorry, Torre

My knowledge of baseball is absolutely dismal, my passion for it, close to zero.
I never watch baseball except if the Yankees or the Mets make it to the world series, and then barely. The only time I've ever been to Yankee Stadium nothing happened for about three hours but then I went to buy a pretzel and there was a double play and a run. Oh, well. Being brought up with soccer did not endear me to the slow mysteries of baseball, with its fat players who chew stuff.
I started rooting for the Yankees one day I saw Mariano Rivera close a game and I fell in love. I loved that he betrayed no emotion, his face as calm as the water on a lake, and then he ripped the air with those scary pitches of his. I would not want to be on the receiving end of his arm, when armed with a baseball. I love Mo.
I also understand that the owner of the Yankees is an asshole. He certainly looks like one.
But one thing I know, is I like Joe Torre. He seems to have been a great coach, and rare in New York, a gentleman. And now people are saying he is leaving. I'm very sad to see him go. And I don't even care about baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment