Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Letter to the Mayor

It's starting again, my letter writing season, my raving ranting season...
This is the text of a letter I sent to Mayor Bloomberg and to the commissioner of the Department of Sanitation of our gross, filthy city:

Dear Mayor Bloomberg:
I recently spent a month in Europe, visiting several cities: Málaga, Barcelona, Paris, Dijon, Amsterdam, Cannes. Whether big capitals or smaller towns, they all struck me by their cleanliness. None of them had mountains of garbage bags obstructing the sidewalks and communities of rats scuttling back and forth among the garbage. All of them have municipal garbage collection. All of them have garbage disposal containers to deposit garbage bags out of plain sight.
Why doesn't NY have municipal garbage collection? Why is this left to private companies? I love NYC's grit as much as anyone, but the garbage blight in this town is intolerable.
It is appalling that New York City is the greatest city in the world and we look and smell like a sewer.
I hope you plan to address this issue if you get reelected. Respectfully,


No comments:

Post a Comment