Saturday, January 30, 2010

Splendid Eats

Yesterday I had one of the most remarkable eating days of my life. My Enchilado Brother In Law gave me a ride to downtown DF and invited me to breakfast at El Cardenal, thus making a dream come true for me.
I don't think I've ever been happier at 9 am. And unless I go back there, will I ever be.
First, their famous bitter hot chocolate with a warm concha from their ovens. Heaven.
Then their famous nata (clotted cream?) with hot bolillitos. Heaven is pedestrian compared to this. This is sheer ecstasy.
Then huevos revueltos con jamon en cazuela con salsa molcajeteada y queso panela. An earthenware dish of scrambled eggs with ham in a spicy but magnificent red sauce that had a faint taste of chicharrón. Sublime.
I washed this off with fresh orange and pineapple juice, which actually tasted like oranges and pineapples. This was breakfast.
For lunch I met my friends Mauricio and Sergio at a nouvelle cantina called La Capital in the Condesa neighborhood. The food was fabulous. We started with a fresh tuna tiradito with soy sauce and chili oil and lime, then tostadas de camaron en escabeche, shrimp escabeche tostadas, then a pescado zarandeado, a whole fish rubbed with spices and I had a sopa de fideos seca, which is a Mexican vermicelli soup without the broth.
And then dinner at the ultrachic nouvel Mexican, Pujol.
More on that later. I'm going out to lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment