Monday, February 01, 2010

Mexican Art

I went to el Centro one morning and in the space of only 4 hours I saw so much good art, I couldn't believe it. First, I ran into a free exhibition of 100 years of Mexican design at the Palacio de Iturbide. It was amazing. Unfortunately, no photography was allowed, I don't understand why. It's not like I am going to copy a chair and make it myself. But it was a small but splendid collection of furniture, jewelry and objects by Mexican designers spanning a century. I wanted almost all the furniture, modern but with indigenous materials. Amazing. This was the only photo I could sneak. In the back, the only Mexican car ever made.

Then I went to San Ildefonso, thinking that another expo was there. I was not that impressed by British artist Antony Gormley, which was very nice, but not very challenging. However, there was another exhibit there by a Mexican artist called Betsabé Romero, which was much more fun. There was also a good show of German photographers. All of this in a magnificent colonial convent and for like $3 dollars.

 
  
 

 

Then I went to Bellas Artes and saw two great shows. One by Manuel Felguérez, a Mexican abstract artist, and another one by Mexican surrealist and enfant terrible Pedro Friedeberg. Felguérez is still going strong and he now is less geometric, painting on big canvases with gorgeous color, but I kinda like his old stuff better. 
  
  
 

More on Friedeberg next.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I so want to go to Mexico City and stay there for a couple of days (I've only been in very quick visits!)

    ReplyDelete