Thursday, April 15, 2010

What fresh hell is this?

Ostrich or Emu (from New Jersey, no less) egg omelette, anyone?
This kind of ridiculous food snobbery, seen at Whole Foods on East Houston St, works my last nerve. And look at the prices! Who are we, the Flintstones?

The New York Times reports today that a lot of people hate cilantro. Apparently, it's a chemical thing. I love cilantro. If you are Mexican and hate cilantro, you are in trouble.
It also reports that some Jewish delis are becoming "sustainable" and banning salami, whatever. Gringos always tend to go too far with their puritanical enthusiasms. 
I'm all for the improvement of Jewish Deli food in New York. The old delis in NY, with the exception of the pastrami at Katz's, are overpriced and they uniformly suck. If someone can cook like my Bobe, I'm all for it. But deli food is not supposed to be precious. 

By the way, this Saturday I'm meeting my estimado Tizoc Schwartz to go on a brief tour of New York taco trucks. Can't wait to meet Tizoc and to eat taquitos with lots of cilantro.

3 comments:

  1. the NYT definition of what's fit to print is expanding to include a lot of nonsense.
    Their piece on cilantro?
    I mean, please.
    And the advice they gave on how to deal with cilantro if you don't like it? Crush the leaves bec that helps to get rid of the cilantro smell.
    o.k., but if it doesn't smell / taste like cilantro, why have cilantro?
    The NYT is in the process of being transformed into a food blog, where the actual news are there to provide you with info about the parts of the world where your food is from -- in case you are interested, but the writing suggests that they assume you are probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cilantro, too. I love it so much, I find it hard to believe that people don't like it. A taco (or Thai food) without cilantro is like spring without a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cilantro... but I had to put up with annoying comments from italians about how we mexicans put cilantro "on everything" (basil or oregano much???)

    ReplyDelete